Thursday, August 18, 2011

Butterflies are never afraid

So you get an AMAZING review. That is fantastic! How do you continue to make it real every time? How do you make sure that you don't get lazy? How do you make sure that you still give your absolute best?

There are a couple of ways that I make sure it happens: I stay nervous. Honestly, I let myself feel it, and I live there in that feeling of not knowing. In the place of uncertainty, in the place of NEED. I need the audience, especially in this piece. If I don't remember that it is always about them, the audience, then I have failed at the task of this piece--to give the people the information that there is hope, that there is beauty, that there is LIFE, even if there has been pain, and trauma.

I live in the butterflies, and find the wonder in the moment, find the newness of discovery, find the fear, and run headlong into it. As a general rule, the thing that I am afraid of, the place where I am scared to go as an actor, is the place, where I should be. The butterflies have no fear of living in my belly, so I welcome their fluttering wings.

So, hello butterflies, so nice to feel you again. Let's make this one real for the people. They need us as much as we need them.

1 comment:

  1. Great way to see it, the butterflies for me in any situation often make me reluctant to continue on. I usually see them as a poignant warning to stop and turn around, maybe you're doing the wrong thing, but maybe, just maybe, they signal they greatness possible in the doing, thnx!!

    ReplyDelete