Friday, July 8, 2011

Enter LIFE, stage left, part 2

So, where was I? Oh, yes Revival, we got to revival, and there are like 10,000 kids in children's ministry, well not 10,000, but it seems that way, especially to an inexperienced teacher. And they aren't kids who go to our church regularly, so they are testing boundaries. Great.

Me:
Minister Annette, I'm staying with you tonight to help out.

Min. Annette:
But, you're on the schedule for tomorrow, you don't have to do that Sister Nina. I'll see you tomorrow.

some kid tries to pick up his younger sibling and DDT him...we exchange looks. I smirk, and go to the side of the room with the toddlers and start singing the alphabet. They look at me as if to say, "Who is this magic woman?" and then I just start moving up and down and doing silly stuff, they do it with me, we transition to the cleanup song and start picking up the blocks.

Random Parent:
You are so anointed to do this.

Me:
Hahahahahaaaa! she looks confused Yes, thank you. continue to laugh at myself and Life. "Oh, I know you think you are winning Life, but I got something for you!!"


So, what happens next? Jonathan and I wind up being with children's ministry for most of revival...they needed us. Hey, I'm well rooted and grounded, plus, if you give your service, you get the CD, so no biggie. I brought my puppet, they laughed, I told stories, made a complete and total fool of myself; anything for the kids. And then, miracle of miracles, the car got fixed...for a day! Womp, womp.

Me:
Bring that thing back to Gino, tell him we don't want it anymore and we are not paying for it.

Hubby:
Well, we can't drive it over there...

Me:
Tow it there.

Hubby:
I don't want to pay for that--

Me:
So, you want to keep paying for the car--

Hubby:
You have a point.

Gino:
I'll take a month off, take it to my guy and we'll see if he can fix it.

Us:
Cool.

WRONG. Car still doesn't work. Fine, Life, you win, you can have the car, I don't even want the car. Please take the car. We'll get a new car. Oh, wait, we spent all the money we could have used to get a car trying to fix the car. Riiiiggghhht. Oh, but there's that other mon...nope, going to the FRINGE! Gotta pay for advertising, and there's this unmissable workshop with this Emmy Award Winning Casting Director, and a Major Audition coming up and and and and.....!!!!

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!

Breathe. Its okay. I can do ALL THINGS through Christ...even this. There is something in here somewhere for me. I know there is. There's a lesson. Or some comedy. Or some humility.

I haven't written anything longer than a tweet in two weeks.
#EPIC FAIL.

These are my thoughts, as I walk home from the grocery store, all three kids, double stroller and groceries in tow on the Fourth of July, I will find some time. God, I need you to give me some time. Like Joshua, remember how you held the sun, so he could win the battle? This is quite as a big a deal, it won't save a nation. but, I just need time to slow down a bit and...pop. What was that?


You have got to be kidding me. How in the name of all that is holy did the wheel pop off of the stroller? I didn't even hit anything. And then people pass by me as I sit on the sidewalk, with my groceries, and my three kids, and my groceries, and NO ONE offers to help. They don't even say hello, "Oh, its the 'single mother' syndrome, you know, when people see a woman, with her kids, and they assume, because the man isn't attached to her hip, that she is a single mother and therefore treat her WORSE. That is the dumbest thing. It happens all the time, I have several friends who have experienced this. Black friends. Again, another post, for another day. I mean, why do you treat me WORSE because you think I'm a young single mother. You would think people would treat you BETTER, try to help you...I digress. 


Anyway, after trying to fix it for about 20 minutes, and people passing me, I see a group of teenage boys, about 4 of them, I call out. 


Me:
Hey, fellas! Can you help me? They cross the street, eager to assist. They seem to be thinking, "she's not scared of us?" They begin to try to fix it with vigor, nothing is working, we are all baffled. I thank them, release them, they go on their way. Standing a little taller, they did a good deed, sort of. 


I give all the kids a Popsicle, miraculously, they haven't melted. I take the boy out, he's four, he can walk. put the two year old in the front, hand the 10 year old a couple of bags and begin the trek home. It gets harder the closer we get, I almost have to carry the stroller so that I don't strip the pole. And eventually we make it. I'm tired. I'm worn. But I'm okay. And in the grand scheme of things, its okay. The kids are happy, we're all safe, so once again, hey its okay. And there is some kind of lesson about my transportation issues. And I'll understand it all by and by. Yeah, I'm southern. 

Oh, wait, wasn't the new scene supposed to show how I cope with every day life of being a mom and an artist, and a wife and a Christian and ...what did I write in that blog...hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment